No 200 Posted by fw, June 19, 2011
As editor of Citizen Action Monitor, it is an honour to publish the names of the citizen activists who will be aboard Canada’s Gaza-bound boat, Tahrir. The names were provided in a Canadian Boat to Gaza press release, as follows:.
June 16, 2011 - Before the end of June, the Canadian ship Tahrir will join the Freedom Flotilla 2 – Stay Human, carrying civil society delegates from coast to coast, international partners, and journalists from a range of media organizations.
The delegates on board the Tahrir include politicians; Jewish, Muslim and Christian Canadians; artists, peace and human rights activists; small business owners; some of whom have taken part in previous flotillas.
Dylan Penner, steering committee member of Independent Jewish Voices Canada (and also an organizer with the Canadian Boat to Gaza) and Vivienne Porzsolt from Jews Against Occupation in Australia, will be joined by Harmeet Singh Sooden, who was kidnapped in Iraq in 2005 and held for 4 months (along with Canadian James Loney while participating in an international Christian Peacemaker Teams delegation), as well as Muhammed Hamou from the London Muslim Mosque.
Also on board the Tahrir will be:
- Former Chief of the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation and professor of Indigenous Studies at Queen’s University Robert Lovelace;
- Canadian Voice of Women for Peace Co-Chair Lyn Adamson;
- Quebec Solidaire representative Manon Massé;
- small business owner Sue Breeze from BC;
- Toronto book publisher and children’s mental health activist Kate Wilson;
- Toronto filmmaker John Greyson; and
- Mary Hughes-Thompson, co-founder of the Free Gaza Movement who was on board the Free Gaza that broke the siege of Gaza in August 2008, and was part of the support team for the first Freedom Flotilla in May 2010.
The Tahrir is honoured to be joined by 4 delegates from Australia, 4 from Belgium, 5 from Denmark, and one from Germany.
TORONTO & MONTREAL DEPARTURE DATES/TIMES
Meet the delegates as they leave:
- Toronto: 11AM, Sunday June 19th at Pearson Airport, Terminal 3, Air Transat departure area.
- Montreal: 3:30PM, Sunday June 19th at Trudeau Airport Departures Hall.
~ bon voyage “FREEDOM RIDERS OF THE SEAS” bon voyage ~
Canada warns against involvement in Gaza flotilla, Global News, May 29, 2011: “I strongly urge those wishing to deliver humanitarian goods to the Gaza Strip to do so through established channels,” said Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird. “Unauthorized efforts to deliver aid are provocative and, ultimately, unhelpful to the people of Gaza,” he said. [How can Baird claim to know what is/is not helpful to the people of Gaza?]